Topics

Hydro Gear help

nelson

Hello group,

Anyone ever tear apart the hydro gear on an early Hydrostatic Drive Ford No. 120 tractor? Mine runs/works fine it just leaks fluid. For now, I put a pan under it when its parked.  I’d like to stop the leaking but a little hesitant to tear it apart to replace seals, o-rings and gaskets for fear I might mess something up and not get it working properly.

Years ago, there was a husband and wife team, in Ohio or Pennsylvania I think, that sold rebuild seal kits for the hydro gear.  Wish I had bought a kit back then.

Any advice/help/suggestions before I start tearing into one of these hydro gears would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Nelson

Ralph

Nelson,

No experience with this hydro but i do have some suggestions.

Seals – Kaman bearing is the best source of seals that I have ever found

O rings – available lots of places – make sure that you get O rings that are oil resistant

Making gaskets

Measure the thickness of the gasket material and buy a roll of it. I’ve always bought it at a local auto parts place but I expect that you can also buy it on line

There will probably be 2 alignment pins on one of the housings. Measure the diameter of the pins and get 2 steel pins. Wooden pins will probably be OK too.

Measure the distance between the 2 pins.

Get a piece of flat plywood or other material that can easily be drilled. The size should be a little bit larger then the finished gasket will be.

Drill 2 holes of the pin diameter and spacing about where they will be on the finished gasket.

Insert the pins in the holes.

Punch 2 holes in the gasket for the pins.

Place the gasket material in place carefully over the alignment pins.

Now, put a light film of oil on the hydro housing side, that’s the one with the clearance holes for the pins.

Place the housing side on the pins and let it drop down to lie on the gasket material. Now remove the housing side. the gasket material will have an oil mark that describes the gasket size/shape and hole locations.

Punch out the holes and trim the gasket, a little bit outside the oil marks. You should be all set with the gasket that you need.

Ralph Lipeles

Anyone ever tear apart the hydro gear on an early Hydrostatic Drive Ford No. 120 tractor? Mine runs/works fine it just leaks fluid. For now, I put a pan under it when its parked.  I’d like to stop the leaking but a little hesitant to tear it apart to replace seals, o-rings and gaskets for fear I might mess something up and not get it working properly.

Years ago, there was a husband and wife team, in Ohio or Pennsylvania I think, that sold rebuild seal kits for the hydro gear.  Wish I had bought a kit back then.

Any advice/help/suggestions before I start tearing into one of these hydro gears would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Nelson

nelson

Thank you Ralph for your help, especially on how to make gaskets.  I like your tip on putting a light film of oil so that it transfer to the gasket....clever!

Nelson

Ralph

Nelson,

I have a 1964 Jacobsen Chief 1000 with a 2 stage snow blower and 1965 Jacobsen Chief 800 with a 2 blade cutter deck so I sometimes have to be creative to keep them doing what I need them to do.

Ralph Lipeles

Thank you Ralph for your help, especially on how to make gaskets.  I like your tip on putting a light film of oil so that it transfer to the gasket....clever!

Nelson

Bob

I have a 64 chief square deck going to scrap yard.  I can’t find anyone to take.  Located in Ocala FL.

On Jan 4, 2020, at 10:26 AM, Ralph <rlipeles@...> wrote:

Nelson,

I have a 1964 Jacobsen Chief 1000 with a 2 stage snow blower and 1965 Jacobsen Chief 800 with a 2 blade cutter deck so I sometimes have to be creative to keep them doing what I need them to do.

Ralph Lipeles

Thank you Ralph for your help, especially on how to make gaskets.  I like your tip on putting a light film of oil so that it transfer to the gasket....clever!

Nelson

Ralph

Bob,

Sad, too bad I am so far away, Connecticut

Ralph Lipeles

Thank you Ralph for your help, especially on how to make gaskets.  I like your tip on putting a light film of oil so that it transfer to the gasket....clever!

Nelson

Mark Cehon

Too bad I’m so far away also.  If your ever driving north through Charlotte area I’d take if off your hands.

Mark Cehon