Sent: Monday, October 28, 2019 5:10 PM
Subject: [JacobsenFordGardenTractors] K301 runs then dies

My old carb had to go.. wouldn't run at mid and high RPM.  Cleaned and rebuilt and same.. so, it's gone.
New carb went on ... cranked up, ran for 20 min.. adjusted carb, ran better than it ever has.. then I shut it off.
Yep, new fuel; fuel filter and line.. all new at the time of the swap.

Now, it runs for 5-10 min.. then dies.. it'll low idle all day.. but not high and I've spun that high-screw to lightly bottom out all the way to "MIA".
Runs best at about 4.5 turns off of the bottom.   But only for a few minutes.

Fun.

Ideas?
--
Kevin
Ford LGT 125

Brian Miller

As an old mechanic once said: "Most carburetor problems are electrical." So try installing a new condenser.

On Monday, October 28, 2019, 4:10:36 PM CDT, kevin leitch <leitch.kr@...> wrote:

My old carb had to go.. wouldn't run at mid and high RPM.  Cleaned and rebuilt and same.. so, it's gone.
New carb went on ... cranked up, ran for 20 min.. adjusted carb, ran better than it ever has.. then I shut it off.
Yep, new fuel; fuel filter and line.. all new at the time of the swap.

Now, it runs for 5-10 min.. then dies.. it'll low idle all day.. but not high and I've spun that high-screw to lightly bottom out all the way to "MIA".
Runs best at about 4.5 turns off of the bottom.   But only for a few minutes.

Fun.

Ideas?
--
Kevin
Ford LGT 125
Raleigh, NC

mso clr

Faced with that, I might start with checking fuel delivery.  Pull the gas line off of the carb and see if there's any fuel.  A trickle won't do.  It takes a little more of a stream to force open a sticky float valve.

I just had this issue on the Ford and the Craftsman in the past week, similar symptoms.

On the Ford, the petcock on the bottom of the fuel tank had failed.  It just let out a trickle no matter if screwed all the way in or all the way out.

On the Craftsman it was dirt in the carb.  Some crud had made it down into the float valve itself.  I was able to dislodge it with a can of carb cleaner with a straw on the end (disassembled carb).

For me, troubleshooting generally starts with a can of ether.  If it won't start but does on ether, spark is good, fuel delivery is not.  If it starts but won't run up, will it with a little ether?  If yes, it's a fuel delivery problem.  You might consider letting it idle for 5 minutes, verifying it won't rev up, then see if some short shots of ether and an open throttle makes it sing.  If so, it's not getting fuel, and probably either the fuel not getting to the carb, or the float is sticking, or float valve or main jet are obstructed with filth.

I'm assuming there is no fuel pump, just a gravity feed.  If there's a fuel pump, I think you'll find your issue there, given what you've already tried.

Or maybe it's the condenser.

Michael
Ford LGT 145
Fairfield, CT

On Oct 28, 2019, at 5:10 PM, kevin leitch <leitch.kr@...> wrote:

My old carb had to go.. wouldn't run at mid and high RPM.  Cleaned and rebuilt and same.. so, it's gone.
New carb went on ... cranked up, ran for 20 min.. adjusted carb, ran better than it ever has.. then I shut it off.
Yep, new fuel; fuel filter and line.. all new at the time of the swap.

Now, it runs for 5-10 min.. then dies.. it'll low idle all day.. but not high and I've spun that high-screw to lightly bottom out all the way to "MIA".
Runs best at about 4.5 turns off of the bottom.   But only for a few minutes.

Fun.

Ideas?
--
Kevin
Ford LGT 125
Raleigh, NC

kevin leitch

Hi Michael, fuel, air and spark are all present.  It's a gravity feed and the design is delivering fuel as intended; air was solved with Sunday's needle adjustments.  Spark looked oddly yellow (vs blue/white) when I'd pulled the plug to review.
I'm betting $6 on an easy fix, so I've ordered the condenser.  Here's hoping.

If I can knock down my new planting, then this is the final mow for the season ( I think ) and I can tear down my K301 and get if off to Brian Miller for rebuild while the lawn is dormant.

Thanks for the note - there will be others coming (I'm sure) and I'm hoping they won't be expensive!

On Tue, Oct 29, 2019 at 6:15 AM mso clr via Groups.Io <msoclr=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Thanks very much,
Kevin Leitch
805 708 9678

--
Kevin
Ford LGT 125

mso clr

I hope so too.  Reminder that condenser's don't just suppress radio noise, they damp the spark at the points.  If a condenser is failing, the points are arcing too much and wearing too fast.  Worn points moves the timing, but it also shortens the dwell which means a weaker spark.  Would that (dwell angle reduction weakening spark) manifest on a single cylinder engine?  I don't know.  I do know that once points are worn from arcing, the feeler gauge technique fails and it's best to use the timing marks instead of a feeler gauge (until you can replace the points).

That's awesome that you are wrapping your season and getting your engine rebuilt.  Mine's in tough shape and I'm worried about rod failure, but leaf season is just starting up and next is snow blowing.  I'm hoping for a window in March.

Best of luck in your endeavors.

Michael
Ford LGT 145
Fairfield, CT