Topics

WTB Spindle Steering Arm with threaded drag attachment #ford120

Ron Nusbaum

#ford120 Want to buy a spindle steering arm (new or used) for Model 09JC3221 its the one that is treaded to the steering drag link.  See included photo of my old one, the threads are gone on the spindle arm.  Any repair ideas other than replacement will be appreciated.

Don Jenne

Is there enough thickness in the arm for a “Heli-Coil”  ?

From: main@JacobsenFordGardenTractors.groups.io <main@JacobsenFordGardenTractors.groups.io> On Behalf Of r_nusbaum@...
Sent: Tuesday, August 20, 2019 11:34 AM
To: main@JacobsenFordGardenTractors.groups.io
Subject: [JacobsenFordGardenTractors] WTB Spindle Steering Arm with threaded drag attachment #ford120

#ford120 Want to buy a spindle steering arm (new or used) for Model 09JC3221 its the one that is treaded to the steering drag link.  See included photo of my old one, the threads are gone on the spindle arm.  Any repair ideas other than replacement will be appreciated.

Ralph

Can you have the area built back up with weld and then rethread it? I’m sure a local machine shop could do it easily. I have no idea what the charge would be.

Sent: Tuesday, August 20, 2019 3:12 PM
Subject: Re: [JacobsenFordGardenTractors] WTB Spindle Steering Arm with threaded drag attachment #ford120

From: main@JacobsenFordGardenTractors.groups.io <main@JacobsenFordGardenTractors.groups.io> On Behalf Of r_nusbaum@...
Subject: [JacobsenFordGardenTractors] WTB Spindle Steering Arm with threaded drag attachment #ford120

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Ron Nusbaum

Thanks for the quick response.  Just took the calipers out and measured it at .318 inches.  It could extend a small amount below and quite abit above.  How long is a heli-coil?
Thanks again,
Ron

From: main@JacobsenFordGardenTractors.groups.io <main@JacobsenFordGardenTractors.groups.io> on behalf of Don Jenne <saratoga78@...>
Sent: Tuesday, August 20, 2019 1:12 PM
To: main@JacobsenFordGardenTractors.groups.io <main@JacobsenFordGardenTractors.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [JacobsenFordGardenTractors] WTB Spindle Steering Arm with threaded drag attachment #ford120

Bob Levo

Could you drill a hole through it and put a bolt through it?

On Aug 20, 2019, at 2:34 PM, r_nusbaum@... wrote:

#ford120 Want to buy a spindle steering arm (new or used) for Model 09JC3221 its the one that is treaded to the steering drag link.  See included photo of my old one, the threads are gone on the spindle arm.  Any repair ideas other than replacement will be appreciated.<P8170698.JPG>

Don Jenne

I do not have one for the stud but the smaller coils are about 3/8’” but install one then if need be grind the excess off on the underside

Do it in short bursts so the coil does not get too hot  Try installing a bolt partway down to soak up some of the heat

From: main@JacobsenFordGardenTractors.groups.io <main@JacobsenFordGardenTractors.groups.io> On Behalf Of Ron Nusbaum
Sent: Tuesday, August 20, 2019 1:05 PM

Thanks for the quick response.  Just took the calipers out and measured it at .318 inches.  It could extend a small amount below and quite abit above.  How long is a heli-coil?

Thanks again,

Ron

From: main@JacobsenFordGardenTractors.groups.io <main@JacobsenFordGardenTractors.groups.io> on behalf of Don Jenne <saratoga78@...>
Sent: Tuesday, August 20, 2019 1:12 PM
To: main@JacobsenFordGardenTractors.groups.io <main@JacobsenFordGardenTractors.groups.io>

mrfixit82852

Ron

I have converted many of mine to Rod Ends, they come in Male and Female styles and sizes. McmasterCarr sells them pretty cheap. You just have to remove what I will call the Ball-Joint end and replace it with one of these Rod-Ends which I call uniball ends . They connect just using a bolt and nut. A couple of washers for spacers and you are on your way.

Now if you scroll down that page you will also see the type you have, you might be able to get the next tread size up and tap the hole and thread it to the next size up.

The link to them is below

https://www.mcmaster.com/rod-ends 

I think I am talking about what you posted. Looks like yours is held together with wire?

Joe (Owner)

Harley Schlinger

Weld a nut on the outside or drill all the way thru and drive in a roll pin make sure the bit is the right size for the roll pin you are using. Many steering wheel use a roll pin and work very well.

On Tuesday, August 20, 2019, 11:38:32 AM PDT, r_nusbaum@... <r_nusbaum@...> wrote:

Jerrie

Most tractors have a nut on the bottom so just find an after market one the right size and drill the thraeds out of thole and put a nut on it.

Sent: Tuesday, August 20, 2019 1:34 PM

Ron Nusbaum

Thanks for all the creative ideas - now I need to get it done.  Will post the outcome after completion.  Looks like the easy way is still, part replacement if one was available!  Yes, that is wire holding all together.  Here in Montana we call that "Cowboy Engineering"  -  had to drive it back to the shed from near the river where it broke!!

When your travels bring you here, you are welcome to stay in camp Rosebud and catch a fish, and take a joy ride.
Again many thanks,
Ron

Virus-free. www.avast.com

Rob Davenport

Here in Herefordshire (mid-west UK) we call it Quality Engineering - should last a while... : )

image1.jpeg

That quick fix to the HST pedal is on the job  sheet for an LGT 14D refurb.  I think I favour nut and bolt as a replacement over rollpin, especially for securing parts you might need to take off every now and then.

image2.jpeg

Best wishes,
Rob.

On 21 Aug 2019, at 16:33, Ron Nusbaum via Groups.Io <r_nusbaum@...> wrote:

Thanks for all the creative ideas - now I need to get it done.  Will post the outcome after completion.  Looks like the easy way is still, part replacement if one was available!  Yes, that is wire holding all together.  Here in Montana we call that "Cowboy Engineering"  -  had to drive it back to the shed from near the river where it broke!!

When your travels bring you here, you are welcome to stay in camp Rosebud and catch a fish, and take a joy ride.
Again many thanks,
Ron

Rob Davenport

P.S. you’re equally welcome to come visit if you’re ever over on this side of the pond.

On 21 Aug 2019, at 18:33, Rob Davenport <rob@...> wrote:

Here in Herefordshire (mid-west UK) we call it Quality Engineering - should last a while... : )

image1.jpeg

That quick fix to the HST pedal is on the job  sheet for an LGT 14D refurb.  I think I favour nut and bolt as a replacement over rollpin, especially for securing parts you might need to take off every now and then.

image2.jpeg

Best wishes,
Rob.

On 21 Aug 2019, at 16:33, Ron Nusbaum via Groups.Io <r_nusbaum@...> wrote:

Again many thanks,
Ron